Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lindsey Cheney's "Imperfect: Q + A"

I follow Lindsey Cheneys' blog, Imperfect, b/c I am inspired by her style, creative and ability to do it all with 3 kids.  She is currently celebrating the 3 year anniversary of her blog and asked us - her readers - to email her with questions.  Whatever we wanted to ask, we could.  I normally do not partake in such "call to actions", but decided that I will never get anywhere with just sitting on the sidelines. 

See I have always been creative.  I get it from my mother.  Family and Friends have always encouraged + praised me to "do my own thing".  I would love to, but have no idea where to start.  So that is what I asked Lindsey. 

And she responded!  (see below for her response)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would love to be a stay at home mom and be able to have my own business to help contribute to the family finances. I have a lot of ideas, but I just don't know how to get started. What advice can you give me? How did you get started? Any books you suggest I read?

i kind of got started on accident. i decided a few years ago to make all of our christmas presents. that kind of reignited my love for sewing and crafting and i decided to host a small boutique with other crafty friends the following spring, selling some of the items like i had made for christmas gifts. when i showed pics on my blog of what i had made, i had some requests from readers to buy some of it. so then i started selling on my blog, then eventually moved into my big cartel shop. i never intended to start a business, it just sort of happened. if i could do it all again, i'd be much more prepared and understand the business side of things much better to start out. a great book to help out is craft inc., by mateo ilasco. i also just bought the handmade marketplace, but haven't had a chance to crack it open yet.

Thanks Lindsey!  I will definitely take a look at the books you suggested and see what I can come up with!  Oh how I feel inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment