Wednesday, April 21, 2010

God Has Welcomed Home An Angel: Isabel Nieto.


December 1976 - Grandma Nieto w/ me.


My sweet grandmother - my mom's mom - passed away Thursday, April 15th.  Isabel was 89 years old.  Although she had a few medical issues, it was still a complete shock to hear of her passing.  I know she is in a better place and looking down on us all.  We just all miss her so much and can't believe she is no longer with us here on Earth.

Her funeral is in San Diego today, Wednesday, April 21st.  B/c I am 39 weeks pregnant I cannot be there to say my goodbye.  It breaks my heart, but I am rest assured that she has kissed baby Lucas already and is sending him our way soon.

Please keep your thoughts and prayers with my family - especially my Grandfather.  Vidal + Isabel were married 66 years.  I can only hope for a lifetime of love like theirs. Casey + I strive for it everyday.

Here are some of my favorite memories of my Grandmother.

My Grandmother...
  • ...married my Grandfather only after a month of knowing eachother. 
  • ...was from Mexico and spoke Spanish as her first language.  Although she lived in the states forever, her English was never great.  Ever since I can remember, her favorite saying when she got excited about something was "Oh boy!"  It makes me smile just imagining her saying that.
  • ...would forget that I myself do not speak Spanish.  So when I lived with her in 2000/2001, she would carry on a conversation with me in Spanish and then notice the puzzled look on my face.  She would laugh every time and then say "sorry, Becky".  Then she would tell me everything she said again in English.  It was so cute.
  •  ...would take time out of every day to say the rosary.  I admire her for her faith where I know her and my Grandfather find their strength.
  • ...was a good cook and bossy in the kitchen.  It was so funny to watch her tell someone they were doing something wrong.
  • ...loved a small glass of port in the afternoon right before her nap.  My kind of lady!
  • ...didn't like driving so she didn't.  Sounds like me.
Rest in Peace Grandma.  I love you always + forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment